On May 25th, 2020, Keystone Racing p/b Lupine Lights will attempt to ride as many vertical feet up Mt. Penn as possible in a 4-hour timeframe to raise money for the Reading Recreation Commission's food service program. Starting at 9am, the team will be released in 2-minute intervals from Duryea Drive on the Virtual Climb Challenge segment. The segment is 2.0 miles with 663′ of vertical gain, averaging 6% grade.
Pledge amounts are based on the vertical feet climbed within the 4-hour challenge. Pledge increments are
- Only the Radsport segment for the Virtual Climb Challenge is considered for vertical feet (663)
- Riders must return to the start of the segment before attempting a new ascent
- This is a social distancing event, so we request riders who have not quarantined together to maintain a safe distance
- Because this is a social distancing event, only riders from the Keystone Racing team will be able to participate in this direct challenge. We hope to open this to other teams in the future.
- Getting hurt is not allowed. You can't go up faster if you crash going down.
- Follow the rules of the road
- Riders are not required to complete all 4 hours for their pledges to count
To pledge, please do the following:
- Choose the rider you would like to pledge for
- Select the amount per ascent that you would like to pledge
- Use the quantity selector in the Cart page to let us know how many ascents you would like to pledge for
- Select "Add to Cart"
- Submit your pledge and share your support for them on social media
When you pledge, your credit card will be authorized but not charged. On May 26th, we will email a recipe of charges. Total charged will be based on actual assents of the rider you pledged for. The total amount charged will not exceed your highest pledge amount even if the rider outperforms your pledge amount.
If Your Rider Goes Over
If your rider rides more times up Mt. Penn than you pledge, your full pledge amount will be donated to RRC on May 26th.
For example, you support a rider for 8x at $6.63 for $53.04 but they ride 10x, you will only be charged $53.04 for your 8x pledge.
If Your Rider Goes Under
Should a rider not ascend as many times as you pledge, you will only be charged at your pledge rate for actual total ascents by the rider you pledged on.
For example, I pledge $6.63 per ascent for a rider to do 14 ascents in 4 hours, pledging $92.82. That rider ascends 6x in 4 hours, raising $39.78. My credit card is charged $39.78.
Riders are not required to ride for all 4 hours for pledges to be granted to the Reading Recreation Commission.